Weston under Lizard Weston Park 2008 (gig)
|Venue||Weston Park (V Festival—main stage headline)|
|Date||17th August 2008|
|Location||Weston under Lizard|
|Start (UTC+1)||21:15 (Muse)[source?], 12:00 (doors)|
|Price (GBP)||145.00 (camping), 125.00 (weekend), 70.00 (one day)|
|Sold out?||Yes (camping, day, weekend)[source?]|
|V Festival, Chelmsford||←||V Festival, Staffordshire||→||A Seaside Rendezvous – 4th|
A user of Drowning in Sound claimed on the 21st of January that a "reliable industry source" indicated that Muse would be headlining V Festival 2008. Three days later, Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis commented that he'd heard that Muse were playing V Festival. In the comment, he appeared unsure - this belief may have derived from rumours started by the aforementioned claim. Following Eavis' comment, eFestivals listed Muse as a "strong rumour". However, on the 29th of January they removed Muse. The next day, an eFestivals admin stated they had information that Muse were not going to play V Festival 2008. This information proved to be false, as on the 12th of February, the official Muse website announced Muse would be playing V Festival 2008.
The first pre-sale took place on the 3rd of March, for customers of Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile services only. A second pre-sale took place during the hour before general sale, at 09:00 on the 7th of March. General sale started the same day at 10:00. Weekend with camping and day tickets sold out on that day, weekend without camping tickets sold out sometime over the next nine days.
Matthew Bellamy initially said in the June 2008 issue of Q magazine that "a couple of new songs should be played",[source?] but later recanted during a July after-show party, wherein he stated that no new music would be played live this year. As previously hinted at,[source?] the band submitted a plan to the festival's health and safety personnel, for a "stunt" involving a model UFO approaching the stage. This plan was rejected.
This was the last known live performances of Osaka Jam and Invincible. Once the gig had finished, Who Knows Who was played back instead of the usual Come Fly With Me by Frank Sinatra.
|After Map of the Problematique||Bellamy||"Hi, Stafford! How're you guys doing? Sorry about the piss!"|
|After Supermassive Black Hole||Howard||"How's it going, Stafford? Good to see you guys again.|
|Bellamy||"This next track is known for the mosh pit..."|
|Howard||"This is one for a big pool in mud...[?]..."|
|After Dead Star||Bellamy||"Cheers."|
|After Hysteria||"Thank you very much."|
|Howard||"Nice cock to the man with the white flag.... There he is"|
|After Butterflies & Hurricanes||Bellamy||"Cheers!"|
|After Feeling Good||"Thank you very much."|
|After Invincible||"Thanks a lot."|
|Howard||"Thank you Stafford. You guys all rock."|
|Before Starlight||"Thank you Stafford, you guys fucking awesome!"|
|Bellamy||"Thanks for sticking by us through this weather. Even with the weather you managed to be better than Chelmsford, so you must be doing something right. [?] called Starlight."|
|After Knights of Cydonia||"Thank you Stafford!"|
|Howard||"You guys rock Stafford! You guys [?]. Thank you very much, cheers. We see you guys again next year with the new music. Take care, cheers."|
Petrock2000 recorded the concert, and his full recording is available in FLAC format here[registration needed].
- Map of the Problematique + Who Knows Who riff
(Manson Black Midi, Rickenbacker 4003)
- Supermassive Black Hole
(Manson Red Glitter, red Fender Jazz Bass)
- Dead Star
(Manson Black Midi, black Fender Jazz Bass)
- New Born + Headup riff + Ashamed outro
(Manson Red Glitter, black Fender Jazz Bass)
(Manson Chrome Bomber, red Fender Jazz Bass)
- Butterflies & Hurricanes
(Manson Mirror, ?)
- Feeling Good
(Black Kawai Grand)
- Space Dementia
(Black Kawai Grand, red Fender Jazz Bass)
- Drum and Bass
(Black 5 String Fender Jazz Bass)
(Kaoss Manson, ?)
- Jimmy Jam + Time Is Running Out
(Manson Red Glitter)
- Riff + Stockholm Syndrome + Hyper Music riff + Execution Commentary riff + riff
(Manson Black Midi)
- Take a Bow
(Manson Red Glitter, ?)
(Manson Black Midi, ?)
- Plug In Baby
(Manson Mirror, ?)
- Man with a Harmonica intro + Knights of Cydonia
(Manson Chrome Bomber, harmonica, Rickenbacker 4003)
- (2008-01). [Official information]. V Festival website. Retrieved 2008-01-21 from vfestival.com.
- V Festival Announcement! (2008-02-12). Muse website. Retrieved 2008-02-12 from muse.mu[dead link].
- (2008-03-04). [Official lineup]. V Festival website. Retrieved 2008-03-04 from www.vfestival.com.
- (2008-03-07). [Ticket purchase page]. Ticketmaster. Retrieved 2008-03-07 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk[dead link].
- (2008-03-04). [Ticket information]. V Festival website. Retrieved 2008-03-04 from www.vfestival.com.
- (2008-03-07). [Venue listing page]. Ticketmaster. Retrieved from www.ticketmaster.co.uk.
- (2008-03). [Venue listing page]. Ticketmaster. Retrieved 2008-03-16 from www.ticketmaster.co.uk.
- Kev Kharas. (2008-01-21). Muse and the Verve headlining V Festival, apparently. Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 2008-01-25 from drownedinsound.com.
- Four rumours ruled out of Glastonbury (2008-01-24). Virtual Festivals. Retrieved 2008-01-25 from virtualfestivals.com. [verify]
- judderman. (2008-01-30). [Forum post]. Muse forum. Retrieved 2008-01-30 from board.muse.mu.
- eFestivals. (2008-01-30). [eFestivals forum post]. eFestivals forum. Retrieved 2008-01-30 from efestivals.co.uk.
- V Festival Pre-Sale! (2008-03-04). Muse website. Retrieved 2008-03-04 from muse.mu[dead link].
- (2008). [Official information]. V Festival. Retrieved 2008-02-18 from www.vfestival.com.
- SOUSOUS. (2008-07-21). [Forum post]. Muse forum. Retrieved 2008-07-21 from board.muse.mu.
- World Entertainment News Network. (2008-08-12). Festival organisers ban Muse stunt. Yahoo News. Retrieved 2008-08-12 from uk.news.yahoo.com.