|Album/single||The Resistance (1), Uprising (1)|
|First live performance||4th September 2009|
|Latest live performance||-|
|Recorded||Lake Como and Milan, Italy, 2009|
|Writer/composer||Matthew Bellamy, Dominic Howard, Christopher Wolstenholme|
|Chart position||9 (UK)|
Described as a "heavy rock take on Goldfrapp" in Mojo magazine, and features football-style chanting. Matt Bellamy describes it as a protest song about the banking situation. In the 25th July issue of NME Magazine, Uprising was described as "singing, over a Marilyn Manson-style electro-glam stomp."
- "The title of the album relates strongly to the first two tracks [the other being Resistance]. Uprising has the protest thing going on. I think that the whole song is about having a massive mistrust for people in power, whether it be government, or bankers. We're living in a society where we're being told to keep quiet, to just accept things as they are."
- "This song is influenced by glam rock, 80s synths, riots and the more eccentric protesters at the recent G2O protests. It expresses a general mistrust of bankers, global corporations, and politicians."
The first song on The Resistance, as well as the first single.
It placed highly on the Triple J hottest 100, at 9th.
Sometimes when played live, the solo is repeated at the end of the final chorus with Chris playing the riff as well. It is called "Extended Version" or "Riff Version" on the setlists.
At the end of the album version, the Buchla synthesizer can be heard. According to Matt in an interview with Triple J (December 2010) they've had this for about 8 years but Uprising was the first and only time it's ever been used. Matt can be heard imitating the sound in the interview.
Uprising is the only Muse song to use Open-G guitar tuning. (DGDGBe)
During The 2nd Law Tour, a video of Dominic was shown while played live, it was him doing martial arts fighting. Dom has been tweeting about him taking martial arts lessons.
Uprising was played "live" in an italian TV show about football called "Quelli che il Calcio" where the band was forced to perform using a playback. The band members decided to switch places: Matt played the drums; Chris played both the guitar and keyboard and Dom, the bass and vocals Apparently, no one of the audience, or show staff for that matter, noticed the change in places. The full video, with interview (in italian) can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2qKraB1lQ
Paranoia is in bloom, The PR transmissions will resume They'll try to, push drugs that keep us all dumbed down And hope that, we will never see the truth around (So come on) Another promise, another seed Another, packaged lie to keep us trapped in greed And all the, Green belts wrapped around our minds And endless, red tape to keep the truth confined (So come on) They will not force us They will stop degrading us They will not control us We will be victorious (So come on) Interchanging mind control Come let the, revolution take its toll If you could, flick the switch and open your third eye You'd see that We should never be afraid to die (So come on) Rise up and take the power back It's time the fat cats had a heart attack You know that their time's coming to an end We have to unify and watch our flag ascend (So come on) They will not force us They will stop degrading us They will not control us We will be victorious (So come on) Oi, oi, oi, oi! Oi, oi, oi, oi! Oi, oi, oi, oi! They will not force us They will stop degrading us They will not control us We will be victorious (So come on) Oi, oi, oi, oi!
- ↑ 1. UPRISING (2009-07-03). Twitter. Retrieved 2009-07-03 from twitter.com.
- ↑ Julien Bordier. (2009-07-0?). Jai ecoute le nouveau Muse. L'Express. Retrieved 2009-07-10 from www.muselive.com. [verify]
- ↑ BBC. (2009-09-13). BBC - Radio 1 - Chart Show - The UK Top 40 Singles. BBC. Retrieved 2009-09-13 from bbc.co.uk.
- ↑ Ray Wilkinson. (2009-07). Progressive stadium rock three dream up album five. Mojo magazine, 1802. Retrieved 2009-07-05 from www.muselive.com. [verify]
- ↑ FHM - "Muse:The Resistance - Album number five and Muse have lost the plot in the best possible way"
- ↑ iTunes LP - The Resistance