Howard uses different percussive instruments. Such as:
- Shakers. Attached to his right hand stick for live performances of City of Delusion, it was also used on Endlessly. Sometimes this is played by Morgan Nicholls.
- Balafon. A west African Xylophone which can be seen on Hullabaloo DVD (Disc 1) during Screenager.
- Animal bones, and even llama toe nails were used for the unique drum sounds heard on Screenager, aside from rim shots on beats 2 and 4.
- 11" Ribbon Crasher (and a 15" on certain occasions). Mounted over his Ride cymbal and next to his 12" rack tom now a days. Can be heard on Megalomania, Apocalypse Please, Time Is Running Out and the B-side Eternally Missed, as well as live versions of Hysteria. It is also quite audible in the Helsinki Jam.
- Hang. This can be heard on the intro for Falling Away With You. It works like a steel drum that is played with the fingertips, thumbs and the heel of the palm. Dom can be seen recording the intro on the Making of Absolution Documentary DVD.
- Timpani. Dom uses in live performances the timpani at the beginning of Exogenesis: Symphony Pt. 1 Overture; He also used it on Knights of Cydonia and Supremacy
- Tambourine. Matt and Dom used it on Endlessly while recording.
- Tablas. Used on Animals
Dom Howard describes the Hang: "A thing that looks like a cross between a barbeque and a flying saucer. It's like an inverted metal drum with a pentatonic C scale on the top that you tap with your hands. It's made by this company called PANArt. It's a really cool sounding instrument that's pleasurable to play and so relaxing as well."