|Album/single||Plug In Baby CD1 (2), Hullabaloo Soundtrack (6), (JP) (5)|
|Alternative titles||Natural Disaster, Earthquake|
|First live performance||1997|
|Latest live performance|| 4th November 2000 (full) |
14th November 2018 (riff)
|Recorded||The Airfield, March 1999|
|Map of Your Head||<||Nature_1||>||Shine Acoustic|
|Origin of Symmetry (2001)||<||Hullabaloo (2002)||>||Absolution (2003)|
Rarely played live. This song was intended to be released on Origin of Symmetry but had been written years before, having been played at both the Budstock and Plymouth Festivals in 1997. The song was recorded at the same session as Ashamed and Yes Please but was not issued on any Showbiz singles, including Sunburn where the other tracks surfaced. It was carried over to Origin Of Symmetry and remixed for inclusion but was removed as the band did not want to have too many entirely guitar-based songs on the album.
Nature_1's unusual title likely originated when the band began making demos of the song, at the time known as "Natural Disaster," when one demo could have been recorded as "nature_1.mp3" and a bandmember took a liking to this title. Whether or not a Nature_2 was considered for release is pure speculation.
The opening riff is similar to the solo of Hate This & I'll Love You, although it's difficult to say which came first.
Six different interpretations:
- An affection for someone that has gone too far.
- A song about God, saying how he isn't even listening to what people are saying i.e. in their prayers.
- Another leader who is destroying the world, such as in Take a Bow.
- About a person who, despite his hard work to the world around him (trying to be #1), he is not acknowledged. Now he is in a rage. He now blames the world for his failure and has plots to create havoc and destroy the world around him to set things right.
- About talking to the mirror, talking to yourself. Blaming yourself for all the bad things that have happened to you. Looking at the thing you've become-old, broken, cold; and this person is made by the world around you.
- A rejection of the fashion of environmentalism ("sick of trying to please you"), personifying the Earth as being cold and uncaring; it kills people with earthquakes it cannot even feel so "why should I?" (engage in environmentalism). That the world has gone so wrong, Nature itself is a disaster.
Despite the fact that the song was written during or before 1997 very few live performances of this song exist. Of the three known 1997 setlists it appeared in all of them, possibly indicating the song was often played during this year. After then, however, the song was primarily played at acoustic gigs in 1999 and 2000. In 1999 the song is believed to have been played at least in November at two gigs. At the November 9th gig Matt claimed that the song was played for the very first time there, although this is impossible considering its early appearances. It was likely that he meant the first time it was played in its finished state.
After these November appearances and a brief acoustic performance in May 2000, there is no confirmed performance of the song until late 2000 when the band began preparing songs that would later be used during Origin of Symmetry sessions. The song was revived for an acoustic performance on October 15th 2000 and was played at most gigs from then on until the end of the year. Although it was not played after 2000, given the song's persistent appearance in later 2000 gigs it can be assumed that the band expected it would make it on the album.
Matt played the intro briefly at the Simulation Theory release party.
Conforming on a Monday
Too often and too cold But you aren't even listening 'cause you are just Too old to feel an earthquake Or too cool to even care But you aren't even listening So why should I?
You are a natural disaster And I've wanted you too much And now I'm gonna lose I've wanted you too much And now I've gotta choose You're the cause of all this And I'm sick of trying to please you Yeah And you're gonna feel my emotions coming Yeah Because you're the world
Like a broken dam you're empty And all that's left are the sticks and stones That were built by other people And it really shows But you aren't even listening Because you are just Too old to feel an earthquake Too cool to even care But you aren't even listening So why should I?
You are a natural disaster And I've wanted you too much And now I'm gonna lose I've wanted you too much And now I've gotta choose You're the cause of all this And I'm sick of trying to please you Yeahhh And you're gonna feel my emotions coming Yeahhh Because you're the world